Round two of the Great Buckram Screen Printing Experiment is a wash. The ink is just not working its way into the weave of the cloth. With the help of Jane Sampson at Ink Spot Press, I tried using a thick oil based ink in hopes that it would yield a better result than the water based ink from last week’s Buckram Fail. But, as you can see, there are still issues to be resolved. Fail, fail, fail.
I am planning to use this cloth for the covers and boxes for the new book, so I really want to make this work. I’ve got two yards (meters, I mean, two meters.) (But really, who cares, it is basically the same unless you are a rocket scientist, right?) of buckram on their way to me, so there is plenty of fodder for more experiments. Next attempt: a courser screen. Since I am not a screen printer, I will be seeking plenty of expert advice. But not for a little while. The plates for the book have arrived, and so it’s back to letterpress next week (whew!) and in a big way.
Thanks for posting about your buckram screen print fail. Even though it was unfortunate that it didn’t work for you, I think you’ve saved me a whole lot of time and stress! I am planning an edition of 5 artist books and had hoped to screen print a design onto buckram to cover the books. However I think I will print onto a good quality linen with fabric paint now. Cheers!
Good luck, Carla! It is hard to remember exactly how I felt at the end of the buckram experience now a few years later, but if I’d stuck with it and maybe used oil based inks with some dryer in it I might have had better luck. But it is an unforgiving material, so I think cloth will make your life easier. Best of luck!
Buckram is from what i understand either woven or non-woven Polyester. i used to print t-shirts and using varying methods as well a lycra suits ( don’t ask) i believe the method for the best results would be known as dye sublimation printing. where a transfer is used on ( normally) a white polyester fabric with heat and pressure. i tested this with those Fake tattoo sleeves some time back with a fair amount of success. – downside you need an epson printer. and then replace all the inks with “Dye sub” inks and transfer paper.. i was able to fine a local Tshirt printer who did Mugs, cups etc etc and was able to just buy the transfers per done from him.
Thanks so much for this info! In the end I used a different material for this project, but I’m glad to know the solution now. Best wishes,