I’ve finally cleared the last of the Marina prints off of the drying rack. We haven’t been able to do any laundry for the last two weeks while we’ve been waiting for five heavy layers of ink to dry. Here is the final version, front and back:
And the two seen together as the translucency of the paper allows light to pass through:
These prints are destined to be folded, trimmed and eventually housed in a wrapper with four similar folded pieces dedicated to other locations, each created by a member of Shift-lab. Here you can see mine folded, front and back:
and partially open to reveal the Marina of text:
Any printed page yields a substantial crop of process detritus: proofs, plates, and other ephemeral waste that is often discarded when a project is completed. We’ve decided to save this material and see what we can make of it before we exhibit the whole of this project in March in Portland, Oregon.
Found in the midst of my debris field are several pressure plates that I never used.
I spent yesterday doing some drawings in preparation for extending this project into a series of small prints that I’d like to produce in the new year. Nothing final or serious here, just a bit of playfulness with text from the Marina shape, imagery from the final print, and some influence from the process debris. Here is a sampling of what I got up to yesterday:
We shall see where I go from here. But perhaps not right away. Baby due yesterday. tick tick tick.